Friday, May 16, 2008

Spider bite - PAY ATTENTION !!!

Arizona is interesting, like no other place I have been, otherworldly for sure. If you don't pay attention, you get bitten.

OK, so I got stung, bitten, probably by a black widow spider (or some other nasty), about two days ago (I believe) on my forearm. I first thought it was a mosquito bite (those guys are just killing me out here, they want my attention on what?) so I kept putting tea tree oil on the bite to prevent itching. The bite swelled up like an egg. It looked like my arm was broken.

In the night I had pain in my arm from my elbow to my wrist and this morning the pain had reached my fingertips and up to my shoulder. So . . . I had to call poison control center and the lady said it could be a variety of bugs, not just the spider and told me to look out for signs of infection. She said nausea and dizziness was to be expected and that it could take several days before the symptoms would go away.

I went next door to my land lord and lady to ask them if they knew what it might have been that bit me because it bit me while I was sitting on their couch. My land lady went directly to her cupboard and said she had just the thing. She brought me a copper penny and said I should put it on the bite and it would pull out the toxins and remove the nausea. She had seen or heard about it somewhere and had then researched it on - line. Copper pulls out toxins.

Uhuh, so I did. I held the penny to my arm and in ten minutes the mild nausea I was experiencing was gone and I could again use my arm and lift it over my head. I went and got a brand new penny and taped it to my arm and taped two pennies to my knee where I found another bite of the same kind.

After a short while, as I was going to make some breakfast for a friend, I suddenly became very disoriented and nauseous and had to lay down while others made breakfast instead. I was dizzy and very out of sorts. I could feel toxins move through my whole body and all I could do was to be still and rest. A very strange feeling. After about an hour it was better.

I kept the pennies on my skin all day and when I removed them in the evening the swelling on my arm had gone down almost all the way and the brand new shiny pennies had tiny specks of something that looked like tar on them. Concentrated insect poison, eh?

So I must say it worked. I kept a penny on my arm the whole following day too until the swelling and pain was totally gone. Curious remedy this one.