Saturday, June 28, 2008

Communing with nature.

There is nothing I enjoy more and nothing that feed my soul better than that which I am now doing, communing with nature.

Every day starting two years ago when I found myself only being able to sit under this majestic tree (that the other threes called his highness, there was also the general about two blocks away, far too powerful a tree). All I could do for almost a year was to spend time on this tiny lot under such a wonderful, calming, wise and serene tree, where I wrote poetry, did healing work and readings for the few people in the house I was living in.

Then I was fortunate enough to be shipped out to Sedona where I spent almost a year in Page Springs on a property by the creek where the land had amazingly spiritual and sacred energy. There I sat, mostly, under the willow trees in a swing looking over the pond. I sat there summer, fall, winter and spring; wrote, fought demons (believe it or not) and absorbed the healing energies. I saw the willow trees lush and green, turn to a bright golden yellow and then loose all their leaves and rest totally naked against the sky. I wondered if they would ever come alive again but they did, miraculously, in the spring and all of a sudden the grey and brown landscape turned lush and emerald green again and saturated with bird song.


I laid in one of the many hammocks at night looking at the stars and the moon with my cat on my belly, in the winter wrapped in layers and layers of warm clothes and heavy blankets. Or I sat in the garden furniture at Christmas, dressed very warmly, looking at the stars and the Christmas lights in the courtyard and at the far off neighbors. I stayed within the fences of the compound afraid to take walks or long hikes by myself because of the mountain lion who had a cub. I made contact with many animals and agreements with some but the mountain lion was not at all interested in agreeing with me that she would not hurt me or mine if I left her and hers alone. Rather she was intrigued that I communicated with her and she let me know it was interesting to know we were there as a food source and there was no agreement. She did eventually wander further away, but I never stepped outside of the fence alone. Kept in place as I was supposed to be, I guess.

I have also spent some weeks up in Oak Creek Canyon and in West Sedona and where ever I am in this land of Arizona, Sedona area, it is magical. Oak Creek Canyon is totally different from the desert of Sedona, it is lush and full of trees and nature healing. But Sedona too has amazing healing energies just in the land and the rocks and mountains. I happen to be in quite a green and lush area with lots of trees and flowering bushes. Lucky me. I think someone is watching over me and bringing me to all these places. God knows I was nature starved in L.A. and suffered from it severely.

Now here on this property where we are staying for the time being, we have become foster parents to a baby bird who the cats dragged into the house one morning. The baby bird refused to die, woke me up screaming bloody hell laying flat on her back, wings outstretched, with her beek open wide and the little kitten just looking at her not knowing what to do. I know my biz partner loves animals and loves to save them (even ants) so we rescued, of course, the baby bird and he placed it in a storage box from the garage and went to the pet store and bought bird food for baby birds that he has to mix with water and feed to her with a dropper. A woman in the community who rescues birds lent us a bird cage. Baby bird healed up quickly and has taken to my partner as a surrogate mother, rides on his shoulder and such. The baby bird (who we named Louisa:) is almost grown now and I have taught her to fly by letting her practice in the master bedroom. She was not aiming very well and couldn't land gracefully but she's getting better. She is not interested in leaving, is very affectionate and not at all afraid of the cats.

We had a baby skunk wanting to live with us a few months ago but I decided she'd be better off with her own kind. She too was so loving and great with the cat. (Skunk's story.) And we tried a couple of weeks ago to save a baby bunny who had been hurt but sadly she expired peacefully.

Now, the last few days, my biz partner who has moved his office outside onto the back patio overlooking the pool (loves the outdoors) has been visited by praying mantises a couple of times. This morning there are two praying mantises sitting on his desk just communing with him. I had to look it up on - line what message they brought; stillness, patience, reflection, listening, waiting for the right moment to strike.



I am thrilled to have this intimacy with animals and with nature, trees and flowers. It is so good for my soul and gives me a feeling of coming home to something that is real and makes sense. It is soul nurturing and it is healing for the soul and for my very being. I don;'t think I could live without closeness to an abundance of plants and wild animals. They are so cool.